Friday, October 26, 2012

How I Use "LUCK" To Decorate My Home

 
I found a Tony Robbins quote that says "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."  I whole heartedly agree, and I believe we should use this in decorating our homes on a budget too!



This past week I took full advantage of that philosophy.  I've known that I needed a dresser for Lilly's room, so I could give her sister back her nightstand.  I have been looking at Craigslist for weeks with nothing popping up worth looking into further.  Then I was driving my girls to school last week and saw this beauty on the curb.  Could I have driven right by, assume that it was broken and that's why it's on the curb, and continue to look elsewhere? Sure.  Did I? Nope.

I took my girls to school, praying the whole time that someone else didn't grab it before I could go back for it.  When I went back, it was there, just waiting for me. Yay!  I got out of my car and checked each drawer, looked it over, and aside from a few scratches and one little chip on one of the drawer front's veneer, it was in great shape. The best part was that as I was struggling to get her in my car, a man came along and asked to help me.  Thank you!

Here's my advice. Don't be a drive by.  Don't be too proud to check out that furniture on the curb. 

MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK! 

You may just end up with a beautiful, solidly built dresser for FREE.  And doesn't it look perfect situated between the window and closet?  And isn't it just the right height under the custom heart art I made last week?  Total coincidence!


It adds just that perfect touch of whimsy vintage to her room.  I thought about painting the sides and top white milk paint, but once I saw it in the room, I love it as is. 

Lilly has made it "hers" already, adding her own little touches to it, library books, and the 2 gold coins she got from the tooth fairy on Monday night.


I have a big build in the plans, and the money I saved from this paycheck (I only spent $1.45 last week, leaving me with $98.55!) will be going towards that.  This week has been so busy!  I hope to go to Lowe's tomorrow.  Planning, planning, drawing it out, and more planning will be done today.  I'm going to squeeze every last cent out of this paycheck.

Thanks for stopping by!
~Erin




Linking to:
Finger Prints on the Fridge
Chic on a Shoestring
The Shabby Nest
A Little Knick Knack
Adorned From Above



Photobucket












2 comments:

Bethany Lee said...

What an awesome find! I have "saved" stuff from my neighbor's trash before, so I totally get where you're coming from. :)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

that dresser (I call it a chest of drawers) is a great curb find! I haven't found anything at the curb in a VERY long time!
lucky you!
gail